Friday, July 18, 2008

Head Banging 101


So, it all started yesterday and I can't even remember exactly why.  Bennett had been told to stop doing something and to my surprise he sat down on the floor and banged his forehead into the carpet 4 times.  I was amazed!  What was he doing?!  I picked him up and comforted him and all was well.  Since then it has happened at least 5 times and I was getting a little uncomfortable about the whole thing.  I had called my dad this morning and he said "Been there, done that."  I guess he used to do that as a toddler.  What?!  I have been in the field of childcare for 7 years and I have not seen this.  So, to the internet I went.  To my surprise this is a diagnosed condition in children usually seen in ages 18 months to 3 years (I knew he was ahead of his time!).  It is a comforting mechanism that children use.  In Bennett's case when he gets in trouble he bangs his head on the floor to take his mind off of the fact that he got in trouble.  What a trip!  I consider myself a pretty with it parent but this has me amazed.  He is purposely causing himself pain!  But, like most things that happen with children, this too will come to an end.  No more comforting or paying attention to him when he head bangs.  He will just have to get over it on his own.  Poor little weirdo!

No comments: