Monday, September 15, 2008

Updated: Too smart for me

I may have mentioned before the Harrison's intelligence sometimes eclipses my own.  It has happened again and it is starting to annoy me.  This time I really had to 'research' to find out what he was talking about.  

Bennett had received this book from Gpa and Gma Greg and Pam.  It is a lift-the-flap, board book.  It is a very cute  book but is currently the most annoying one we have.  It has been selected to read several times (we have had it for 2 days) and each time Harrison asks me the same question (you will find out later in the blog).  It is like he knows that I do not know the answer, so he insists on making me try to explain it to him.

I will reproduce the book for you now (without the express, written consent of the NFL).

Page one:  Tonight is Halloween.  Baby is looking for her special pumpkin.  Is it under the leaves?  (Lift flap) No!  But there is a fuzzy black cat!

Page two:  Is it behind the curtain? (Lift flap) No!  Look!  A friendly ghost!

Page three:  Is it in the closet? (Lift flap) No!  But here are some happy bats!

Page four:  Is it behind Mommy's bowls?  (Lift flap) No!  But here are some candy apples!  YUM!

Page five:  Is it under the bed? (Lift flap) No!  It's a sparkly witch's hat!

Page six:  Is Baby's pumpkin outside the door? (Lift flap) YES!  And now we can all go trick-or-treating!

So, do you know what Harrison asks?  "Why didn't baby find the pumpkin when she was outside?"  What?  Are you kidding me?  I don't know what he is talking about.  I have to go back and read the whole book again, granted, not a big task, to find that indeed the baby started outside looking for the pumpkin.

Now be honest.  You had to go back and look too, didn't you?  How did he pick up on that?  And how clever that he did!

UPDATE:
OK - so my brother called and told me that I should explain to Harrison that baby is in the back yard looking for the pumpkin when it is located at the front door.  I had tried to explain this to Harrison, before Nathan called, and it didn't work.  He still maintains the thought that since the baby was outside, the baby should have found said pumpkin no matter where it was.  He will have to try reading the book to Harrison when they are here for Thanksgiving - which is only 72 days away.  Yes, I am counting.  I can't wait!!!!

No comments: