Sunday, November 9, 2008

Popcorn and a Movie

My baby is growing up.  Harrison is fascinating me in so many ways lately.  He does amazing things like putting on his own coat, setting the table, wiping his own butt, the list could go on and on.  But it really all hit me on Friday at the movie theatre.  

Harrison has never been to a movie before.  We try not to watch too much TV and I have always thought why waste the money.  Well, he has been seeing commercials (cause we don't let them watch to much TV!) for Madagascar 2 the past couple of weeks and decided it was time to go to the movies!

And it was great.  We were in a bit of a hurry to get to the movie because I wanted to go Friday night as Chris was going to be gone on Saturday (big win for the Skwakeyes, you know).  So there were a couple of different options, but the one I wanted was at 5:55 pm.  This meant that we had to leave AS SOON as Chris got home from work to make it in time.  Well, I don't go to movies all that often and I did seem to forget that there would be 30 minutes of previews.  30 minutes!!!  Anyway, Harrison was so excited about his 'kids pack.'  It was a little box with popcorn, a small soda and some fruit snacks.  He got up on his seat and I didn't hear another word from (except for 'Please open these fruits snacks') until the movie was over.   And this was not from lack of trying on my part.  I kept trying to get him to laugh or tell me what he thought about this part of the movie, but he wanted nothing to do with it.  It was like he was in a trance.  After the movie was over I asked if he liked it and he said yes and I asked if he thought the theatre was cool and he said yes and then he said "And that TV is even bigger than ours!"  

On the way home I asked him about the movie and he told me the parts that he liked and he explained why Marty the Zebra was upset so I knew he had comprehended the whole thing.  He even laughed while telling me what parts he thought were the funniest (those wiley penguins!).  I knew he had a good time even if he didn't show it during the movie.

Anyway, as I was watching the movie and watching Harrison all sorts of emotions came flooding over me.  Here was this little boy doing such a big boy thing.  He was so grown up.  Quietly eating his popcorn, taking a sip of his soda and then putting it back.  Wasn't he just a baby?  Wasn't I just holding him in my arms, keeping him in bed with me cause I didn't want to ever be separated from him?  And here he is at the movies!!!  I know what you are thinking.  The next thing I know he will be at the movies with a different girl.  Well, let me tell you.  That ain't going to happen!

No comments: