Thursday, November 1, 2018

Thankful

Be happy for what you have while working for what you want.  ~ Helen Keller


I continue to be thankful everyday for the people and joy around me. Honestly, the political climate is really wearing and everyday some new challenge arises that both shocks me and makes me sad. I am extra thankful to again be doing my thankfulness blog this year because it will be a daily reminder of what we can all be thankful for and it can bring hope to my soul. Maybe I can keep the blogging up all year... maybe.

Today was supposed to be a full day as it started early and was supposed to end late. Harrison had to be at school early for Jazz Band and then Bennett had swim from 6:45 - 7:45. Harrison also had study group for math at his friend, Ella's so he was there after school until 6:15pm. He is thankful for math because it is useful in everyday life. I'm not sure the math he is currently doing is useful to anyone, but I am proud of him and he loves it so onward to more math I no longer understand. I had a hair appointment at 4:20pm and it lasted until 7:00pm and then I did the grocery run. So Chris had drop off and pick up duties as well as dinner duties (let's be honest - I had dinner ready for them). But their night ended a little bit earlier because the Roosevelt pool sprung a leak and they are currently trying to get that under control.

Bennett is thankful for Halloween. I mean - look at that guy. What's not to be thankful for??

Skittles Pox
Des Moines has a tradition of Beggar's Night and there are two very unique attributes to this tradition. Number one - trick-or-treating is done on October 30th. Always. This is because in 1938 the city received a record number (550) of vandalism calls and they said enough! The idea was that October 30th would be set aside for children to go door to door trick-or-treating, but only if they had a trick or funny they could share with the person handing out the candy. Thus became the 2nd part of the tradition in Des Moines - What is your trick-or-treat joke? This year, Bennett's was 'Why did the bird go to the hospital? It needed a tweetment.' The jokes are always real knee-slappers!

Chris is thankful for the weather we have been having the last couple weeks. It has been pretty glorious. I think that we have had the house open after 10:30am everyday. It's cool and crisp in the morning and evening but the middle part of the day has been sunny and 62 degrees. Pretty sure that ends today though. Rain and highs in the low 50's are what's in store for the next few days and then highs stay in the upper 40's for awhile. Time to make some more soup!

No comments: