Friday, May 1, 2009

Grandpa

My grandfather passed away 1 week ago.  The nursing home called Gma sometime around 3:30 am and she and my Uncle Randy went down to see him.  He was having some trouble breathing and getting comfortable.  He passed away around 4:40 am on April 24th.  His obituary was very nice and his passing was a blessing.  And I mean that if you can not beat cancer then you are better off not suffering.  That part was the blessing.  But I am very sad that he died.  I believe my Gpa was too young to die.  He was only 80 and he had so many more good years to be on this earth.  This last year was hard though and he was not happy.  Soon after he had his kidney removed the cancer was found and it just went downhill.  He didn't have the strength or feeling of wellness to do anything and that made him miserable.  

But, those are not the things that I will remember.  I will remember how unhappy I was as a child that I couldn't have a horse.  Oh, I wanted a horse!  But, grandpa didn't like horses and that was the end of the discussion.  I don't know if I ever got the whole story but something in his youth put a distaste for horses in his mouth.  But, I suppose he made up for it by calling me his favorite granddaughter.  That is how he introduced me to everyone and I was always so proud.  Most people knew I had a brother and 2 male cousins, but he didn't remind them I was his only granddaughter.  He just called me his favorite granddaughter!  I will also always be reminded of the woodworking he did in his retirement.  I have several pieces through out my house; my roll top desk, my bed (our wedding gift), tables in the living room and probably the most special is the cradle that Harrison, James and Bennett used.  Someday my grandchildren will use it and it will make it all the more special!  I will remember that he was stubborn (understatement!) and that I didn't inherit any of that from him!  I will remember him getting thrown by a cow and then years later I was pinned by a cow and I remembered being grateful I wasn't thrown like him!  He had broken ribs, I had a few tears.  There are so many memories and I could go on.  Thankfully those memories will overshadow the last year.  Good-bye grandpa.  I miss you.

23rd Psalm - read by my dad at the burial:

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of rightousness for His name' sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death.
I will fear no evil: For thou are with me:
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my like,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

No comments: