Thursday, January 7, 2010

Weak Stomach

You know how you take a perfectly healthy child to the doctor for a check up and they end up getting sick?  That happened to poor Harrison yesterday.

Harrison's 5 year old  check up was great.  He is 37.6 lbs which puts him in the 22nd percentile and 3' 6" which puts him in the 45th percentile.  45th percentile is higher than he has ever been!  I guess he might be taller than me after all!  The rest of the check up went smooth as well.  He is developing perfectly.  Then it was time for the flu shots and hemaglobin test.  Bennett came along to get his H1N1 shot as well.  I elected that he would go first.  No problems.  A little squeal and mean look at the nurse with a "That hurt me!" and he was done.  Now Harrison's turn.  He was old enough for the flu mist but was still a little nervous.  "Mom.  Really.  I'm nervous.  What will it feel like?"  The nurse was great.  Two sniffs and it was over.  Then I broke the news that they were going to prick his finger for the blood test.  Alarm bells went off in his pretty little head.  But, again, the nurse was great.  She grabbed his finger and it was over with.  He barely felt it.  I didn't want him to have the same irrational fears that I do so I encouraged him to look at what she was doing.  He seemed ok with this and then we were done.  Quick band-aid and he got dressed.  Out to pay the bill and get stickers and then to the waiting room to get coats.  This is the part I would change if I could.  Harrison got white as a sheet and complained that he felt like he had to throw up.  I let him sit on a chair while I got Bennett and myself bundled up.  Then I let him sit a couple more minutes till I thought he got his color back.  (Next time - he gets to lie down and breath deeply for as long as it takes!!!!)  When I thought he was ready and he told me that he felt better, he got his coat on and we headed out.  There is a long hallway to the parking garage and about 3/4 of the way there he lost his breakfast all down the front of himself and on the carpet.  Then he threw up a whole lot more in my hands.  GROSS!!!!  Luckily we were right next to the attendants station and they were able to bring some paper towels and the trash can.  After getting him cleaned up (and myself, GROSS!!!!) we headed back to the doctor's office.  They have never had anyone throw up right after taking the flu mist.  There have been cases where people get sick 24 hours later (it is a live virus, after all) but never right after.  So we are left with the conclusion that he has the same weak stomach that his mommy has.  I HATE TO GIVE BLOOD!!!  While pregnant they always took special care to lay me down and get me a towel before they started so I wouldn't pass out (which has happened before...).  Anyway, I don't know what we will do with him the next time he has to give blood but we will be prepared!  Silly weakling!

No comments: