Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Can't Decide

Harrison came home from school today raving about Indians.  Indians did this.  Indians did that.  Don't you like my cool Indian shirt I made?  Indians!  Indians!  Indians!  I am not sure what irritated me so much, but I mostly let it pass and said 'I am glad you are learning so much about Native Americans.'  The kid practically yelled at me!  "Mom! They are Indians!!!"

Well, this kind of set me off.  I was really perturbed at his teachers.  Indians is a very common name and many great books and stories tell great information about the Native Americans that proudly walked these lands.  BUT, isn't it just common knowledge to at least use both names?  Give a little explanation?  I think 4 and 5 years can understand these things!  

So that is what I did.  I explained to Harrison what Native American's were and how they got the nickname Indians.  I explained how the explorers were looking for the New World, etc, etc.  And no, I didn't mention that horrible person, Christopher Columbus!  History people!!!  Make sure you aren't sugar coating the truth!!!!

Anyway, I can't decide if I am going overboard with this or not.  I seemed to have turned out ok and I played Indians and Cowboys growing up (but only when I was at Chris and Dustin's house!!!).

No comments: