Sunday, April 23, 2017

Ten

Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years. ~ Ausonius

I need a reminder like the quote above, today. My baby turned double digits on Thursday. And he is SO proud to count those years and show us all that they matter. "I'm 10. I'm so old now."

The night before his birthday Bennett was wired. He wanted to open presents. He wanted to go to school to pass out treats. He wanted to sleep in my bed. Then he didn't. He was on the floor. He was on the bed. He was wearing a sleep mask. And then, finally he was on the couch and settled in. I guess sometimes you just get what you want. And what Bennett wanted was to be up early enough to open his presents before his dad left for work (6:30am) and his brother left for school (6:45am). Bennett doesn't get up until 7:15am. Sleeping on the couch puts you right in the middle of all the morning noise.  

What a sweet boy.

After the early morning wake up call presents were finally opened - a Cubs blanket and the ever-coveted 10 year old gift - the mini iPad. If you own an Apple product of any kind I implore you not to give Bennett your contact information unless you want to be inundated with emoji texts. 😂 🎉 👽🙈🙄 And he also really wants the Bitmoji app. We're holding out on that as of yet!





Of course birthdays breakfasts are the traditional M&M pancakes and bacon. 🥞 🥓 This tradition really started with my brother and his family but we love it. 



While Bennett was at school, I contemplated life with two pre-teen boys - who and what are they going to become, watched the littles laugh with abandon and then reflected on how my boys were becoming more self aware and laughed and acted with less reckless abandon, and I made a cake. Somehow 'cake' has become my thing. I do love a good piece of cake. All of the kids want a special cake for their birthday. This years choice for Bennett was a Cubs cake. I am no professional, but I think it turned out pretty good. It was supposed to have baseball seems running through it but I ran out of room. Maybe next time. 



After school, you would have thought I was throwing a party. I might have too many kids! ;) Pay no attention to Bennett's annoyed face. I took quite a few pictures that day. 

Attendees - Harrison, Bennett, Drew, Miles, Jake, Annabelle, Apollo, Rocco, Emma, Rocky, Felix, & Evelyn

The day ended with a surprise visit from Grandpa and Grandma Wilcke (I forgot to get pictures), a trip to the ball park to watch Harrison play baseball, Orlando's Pizza and Ben & Jerry's ice cream. I'm a lucky mama and I try to appreciate that everyday. I have a kind, caring, goofy yet responsible kid. I know he will turn out to be 'one of the good ones' someday. He's one of the good ones now. Even today as I was typing this and telling B that he would be missing his baseball game today if he didn't eat his pasta salad I love him more than words can describe and I appreciated his failed resolve to "NOT EAT THIS STUFF." He sat here for over an hour. **Sigh** But he got it done and he didn't die like he thought might happen. 




Birthday Interview - Bennett, age 10

What is your nickname?
   ~ The Mongoose
What is your favorite color?
  ~ Blue
What do you want to be when you grow up?
  ~ Baseball player
What is your favorite thing to do with your family?
  ~ Go out to eat at Hu Hot and Ohanas
Who is your best friend?
  ~ Fritz 
What makes you happy?
  ~ Baseball
What do you like to learn about?
  ~ Math
What is your favorite book?
  ~ The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
What makes you sad?
  ~ losing a friend 
If you had $1,000 what would you do with it?
  ~ buy a computer
Where would you like to go on vacation?
  ~ Chicago
What is your favorite food?
  ~ Corn on the cob and shrimp 
What is your favorite thing to do?
  ~ play baseball and watch the Cubs
If you had one wish, what would it be?
  ~ To be a billionaire baseball player for the Chicago Cubs

Dream big, 10 year old. You've got the whole world at your fingertips.

No comments: