Friday, March 25, 2011

He's better

Bennett's surgery was on March 8th and on March 17th he told me that he was all better. He didn't have any bumps in his throat making him sick. AWESOME!!!!!! Only 9 days!!!!!!

The whole experience was fairly underwhelming in the best possible way. I don't really know what my expectations were, but I did feel there would be lots of crying, lots of whining and lots of napping. What happened was there was a little crying (mostly at night when he woke up because his throat was dry), a little whining (mostly when I took the iPad away because he had played it for over an hour!) and no napping. I think he napped a total of 2 times and those 2 times were at 4:30 in the afternoon when he just couldn't fight it any more!

We scheduled the surgery to coincide with Spring Break. Claudia was off on Spring break for 2 weeks so the week of Bennett's surgery I only had Caden and Greysen and Harrison was at school Monday - Wednesday. His Spring Break started on Thursday. Wednesday (day after surgery) Caden had preschool and I thought Bennett would fight not being able to go but he was really ok. Thursday was another story and after Harrison's WONDERFUL conferences, I gave in and took Bennett to school for about an hour. He did just fine, but I was still glad I didn't let him go the whole time and be there without me. He was a little tired when we left and I think it would have been too much for him to be there the whole 2 1/2 hours.

The only real hiccup of the whole experience was the waking at night. We had a humidifier going in his room, but Bennett sleeps on his back and his throat would just get too dry. He woke up 7 nights straight about 2 times a night. He would cry and cry until we forced some Tylenol in him and got him to drink something. Then he would pass out from exhaustion. Eating could have been a problem, except that we just choose not care what he ate for 14 days. Chris and I talked about it and we decided that these 14 days would go by quickly and in the grand scheme of his long life it didn't matter what he consumed in this short amount of time. Bring on the jell-o and ice cream!!!! Turns out it didn't matter. The child is a pig! I don't know why he doesn't weigh 100 pounds. He enjoyed Jell-o, chicken and stars soup, and lots of Gatorade. He also did not give up on his obsession with Hunchy, Bontsy Boats (Honey Bunches of Oats). He didn't have them for breakfast on Wednesday, but everyday after that he gave them a try and by the weekend it either didn't hurt or he didn't care.

The week after his surgery was Spring Break and other than waking up at night it was tough to remember that he had just had his tonsils out. We went to Johnny's for a playdate, went to the zoo and saw penguins, went to a music concert to see Denise Forney perform and met up with Kari, Will and Cale at the St. Paddy's Day parade. So much for being sick and miserable for 14 days. Lucky kid (and mom)!!!!!!

No comments: