Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lymphoid Nodular Hyperplasia

Lymphoid Nodular Hyperplasia. There is a term for everything. And this term is used to describe why Harrison has had periodical, painless bleeding in his colon. This is the best possible out-come as this is a growth related condition. I can't find great information online about this condition. It seems to be quite rare and of course, most things online scare the bejesus out of me so I will trust Harrison's doctor. It will go away just as quietly as it came. I wish I could describe the sense of relief. I wish I could describe how lucky I feel. The cells in our body are amazing little machines and almost any random thing can happen to them. We (Harrison) are truly grateful that this was our diagnosis.

Lymphoid Nodular Hyperplasia is a swelling of the lymph nodes surrounding parts of the colon. This swelling is common and painless. There are no apparent causes of this condition. Random luck for a 6, 7, or 8 year old. As the lymph nodes swell, the inflammation irritates the colon causing it to sometimes bleed. Just a great way for our body to remind us that it is in control. 'I am your body and I will randomly cause you distress, just because I can!!! I am all powerful!' Thanks, Harrison's body...

The prep for Harrison's colonoscopy was almost as horrible as I imagined. I imagined kicking and screaming, not wanting to take the Go-lytly and then spending hours in the bathroom, laying on the floor with stomach craps followed by sitting on the toilet. You know what I mean, it's what you have all imagined...

I put Harrison on a liquid diet starting on Saturday. He had scrambled eggs and water for breakfast. Nothing else. He had Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup for lunch. I let him have 1/2 of the noodles that he would regularly have. After that he was able to tell me when he wanted to eat and I let him eat whenever that was. He had the choice of lime, sugar-free Jell-O, chicken broth from Campbell's Chicken and Star Soup (a few stars got mixed in, just because...) and G2 lemon-lime Gatorade. He was on this diet from Saturday around 3:00 pm to Sunday around 4:00 pm. He had to take a laxative at 12:00 pm on Sunday to help the process start. At 5:00 pm on Sunday we started the first 32 ounce dose of Go-lytly. I mixed it with 32 ounces of the Gatorade instead of water, thinking it would taste better. I can only imagine that it did, but it still tasted pretty bad. Harrison cried and cried and cried for an hour and a half. It was heart-breaking and comical. Here are a list of my favorite quotes. Some were used more than once.

"NO! This is done. I don't have blood in my poop. I am going to watch tv. NO!"
"OK. This is it. I'm having a meltdown here."
"Now I am freaking out! Freaking out, MOM!!!"
"You are my mom! Don't let them do this to me!"
"I am soooo mad at myself. I am not brave and I need to be."
Again, it was heart-breaking and comical. He was supposed to drink the 32 ounces in one hour and I was worried that he wasn't going to get any of it in. But, we (Chris) were able to get him to drink it (he did throw-up/gag 3 times) and we were done. Until midnight... When we had to do it again. Ugggg. Luckily, all of the awful things that I imagined happening in the bathroom never happened. He went to the bathroom, but I truly believe the liquid diet I put him on worked magic. There was never any discomfort in that area of the prep. Thank goodness.

I had worked at Starbucks Sunday morning (got up at 3:00 am...) so I was a little tired after skipping my usual Sunday nap. I went to bed early with the expectation of getting up at midnight to give Harrison his next round of Go-lytly. So when I awoke at 4:30 am, I panicked. "I AM A HORRIBLE MOTHER!!!!!!!" I rushed to the living room and found Harrison sleeping on the love seat and Christopher sleeping on the couch. I shook Christopher awake and he sleepily told me that he had given Harrison his does at midnight and he took it just fine and finished in 45 minutes. No tears. No drama. Drink. Sleep. Done. How did I sleep through that?!?! Seriously...

We had to be at the surgery center at 7:30 am. Greg and Pam came to watch Bennett. Harrison was in a GREAT mood. I do not know what brought it on or why it was there but it was more than welcome. I like to think I am a pretty relaxed, easy-going person, but I was a little on edge (especially after sleeping through his midnight dose!) and his gleeful attitude was just the medicine I needed. Intake at the hospital was a breeze. We played some Sorry and then they wheeled a Wii cart into his room and he played that for awhile.
Dr. Slovan came in and he was wonderful. He was great with Harrison and Harrison asked him some great questions like "Who is going to see the pictures of my butt?" and he answered with the ease of someone who knows how to work with all types of kids. We were pleased. His anesthesiologist was even better. His name escapes me now, but I will find it and write it down because he was great. He made Harrison laugh and told him exactly what to expect. Then he suggested they sing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall. I could tell they were going to get alone wonderfully! After it was all done, Dr. Slovan told us Harrison did so great. He was calm and even giggled a couple of times while they were prepping him for the procedure. And then he reminded us not to call him Harry. I can only imagine Harrison telling everyone that he doesn't enjoy that nickname! It is so comforting to know that the doctors and nurses treated him like the great little (big) boy that he is and not just another patient. I am forever thankful and grateful.

No comments: